Using paint products that have high VOC can often cause health issues. Some of the more common side effects are; headaches, nausea, irritation to your eyes, throat and nose, dizziness and allergic reactions. Often chemicals like petrochemicals, solvents, mercury, formaldehyde and benzene can be found in your conventional paints. All of those chemicals do a combination of things to the paint like; pigment for color and hiding power, binder that holds pigment to surface, and a carrier to maintain the pigment and binder in liquid form. Elderly, pregnant woman, small children, offices and those with compromised immune systems or environmental allergies are especially sensitive to the effects of these paints.